Crawley Square
Fairs were held twice a year in the High Street until 1924. Bonfire celebrations were also held in the High Street until 1903, but because of the nuisance they were later held in a field.

Please note that the lists below are largely based on directories for 1913, 1924, 1938 and 1951, Goad plans for 1968, 1972, 1976, 1980, 1986, 1998, 2006 and 2012 and later personal surveys, and consequently are incomplete.
George Annexe
In the 18th century the George Annexe was a candle factory. It was demolished in 1933.

26-32 High Street
26 High Street
Bertha Smith, Grocer (1913)
Spencer Smith, Grocer (1924)
Frank Thomas Mitchell; Mitchell's House Furnishers, House Furnisher (1938-1951)
Grays Travel, Travel Agent (1968)
David Argent, Mens Wear (1972-1976)
Street Walkers, Footwear & Gifts (1980)
Fludes, Carpets (1986)
26a High Street
Bertha Smith, Butcher (1913)
Spencer Smith, Butcher (1924)
Rear 26 High Street
Friary, Tea, Coffee (1972)
28 High Street
Ernest Mackie, Tailor (1913)
David Jones, Taylor (1924)
Kathleen D. Small, Ladies' Outfitter; Small Childrens Wear (1938-1972)
Vacant (1976)
Vacant (1980)
Homeview, Video (1986)
30 High Street
Charles Warren & Son; Daisy L.W. Warren, Ironmongers (1913-1951)
Kathleen D. Small, Childrens Wear (1968-1972)
Crawley Timber Co., Timber Merchants (1976-1980)
Woody Gem, Timber Merchants (1986)
32 High Street
Charles Warren & Son; Daisy L.W. Warren, Ironmongers (1913-1951)
Crawley Timber Co., Timber Merchants (1968-1980)
Woody Gem, Timber Merchants (1986)

26-32 High Street were demolished in 1997-8 and a was replaced with a new building.


26-30 High Street
Ja Ja Bar (2006-2015)
Vacant (2015-2017)
Déjà Vu Bar (2017-)
32 High Street
Astons, Estate Agent (2006-)

34-36 High StreetGrade II Listed (1983)

Built in 1776 for Richard Hall. However, by 1860 the title of the property was in dispute, and was held in chancery for some years. The house was unoccupied, and as a result became dilapidated. After its ownership had been agreed it was let, and became a public house called the Morning Star. Thomas Jenner rented a part of the premises for a small pork butcher's business, which Eli Yetman later bought. The garden later became the site of the Council School. The premises were then auctioned, and bought by Spencer Smith who later sold it to Eli Yetman. Later the building was used by the butchers Yetman's and the fishmongers Bastable's. It is now occupied by an estate agent and T. & L. Services. The building is Grade II listed.

34 High Street
Sproston & Co. Fishmongers (1913)
A.E. Bastable; Bastable & Son, Fishmongers (1924-1986)
The Cloth Store - Haberdashers (1998)
Fox & Sons, Estate Agent (2006-)
36 High Street
Horace Yetman, Greengrocer; H. Yetman & Sons, Butchers (1913-1951)
J. Perity, Butcher & Provisions (1968-1976)
Randall Glass, Glazier (1980-1986)
T&L Services, Electrical Appliances (1998-2015)
Vacant (2015-2018)
Sage Vegan Cafe (2018-)

38-40 High Street
38 High Street
Crawley & Ifield Co-Operative Society Limited; Crawley And District Co-Op. Society (1899-1951)
The Music Shop (Margaret Withers), Musical Instruments (1968-1976)
Mid Sussex Musical Instruments (1980-1986)
40 High Street
John & Albert Edward Miller, Blacksmiths (1913)
Crawley & Ifield Co-Operative Society Limited (1913-1968)
T&L Services, Electrical Goods (1972-1986)


42 High Street
William Beer, Confectioner (1913)
Crawley & Ifield Co-operative Society; Crawley And District Co-Op. Society (1938-1980)
Liberty City, Clothes (1986)


38-42 High Street

A new building replaced the above.

38 High Street
Pizza Hut, Restaurant (1998)
DMH - Solicitor (2006)
Vacant (2012-)
40 High Street
Pizza Hut, Restaurant (1998)
Gallery 40 - Museum & Art Gallery (2006)
Vacant (2012-)
42 High Street
Halifax Property Services, Estate Agent (1998-2006)
Vacant (2012-2014)
Afters Original, Ice Cream & Dessert Parlour (2014-2017)
Vacant (2017-2018)
The Comic Shop, Books, Games & Toys (2018-)
Midtown House, 38-42 High Street
Kent, Surrey and Sussex Community Rehabilitation (2016-)


44-48 High StreetGrade II Listed (1983)
44 High Street
Harry Hemsley, Nurseryman (1913-1924)
Smith Bros., Drapers; Lingerie & Ladies Separates (1938-1980)
Five-O, Bridal Wear (1986)
Homes Partnership, Estate Agent (1998-)
46 High Street
Smith Bros., Drapers; Lingerie & Ladies Separates (1972-1986)
Tanning Shop, Beauty Salon (1998)
Greenaway Residential, Estate Agent (2006-2012)
Moore & Partners, Estate Agent (2014-2018)
Vacant (2018-)
48 High Street
Freeman, Hardy & Willis, Boot Dealers; Footwear (1924-1980)
Charity Shop (1986)
Plan Personnel, Employment Agency (1998-2006)
The Money Shop, Financial Services (2012-)


50-52 High Street

Demolished in early 1939 and replaced by a bank.

50 High Street
Miller & Sons, Saddlers (1913-1924)
Barclays Bank (1951-1980)
Royal Bank of Scotland (1986-2018)
Vacant
52 High Street
Miller & Sons, Saddlers (1913-1924)
Barclays Bank (1951-1980)
Royal Bank of Scotland (1986-2018)
Vacant
52a High Street
Flinn, & Son. Ltd., Dry Cleaners (1951)


54 High Street
Holden & Son, Plumbers (1913)
Needham Martyn, Coats and Gowns (1951)
George Hotel (1968-2006)
Water Inn, Chinese Restaurant
Wusungdan, Chinese Restaurant (2008-2012)
Dragon Buffet, Chinese Restaurant (2014-2015)
A Chef Buffet, Chinese & Japanese Restaurant (2015-2016)
Wildwood, Restaurant (2016-)


George Hotel

56-58 High Street

A building with a clapboard front and Horsham slate roof, Bay Tree Coffee House was owned by Mr. Shaw. It was later Jones Greengrocers shop and Heathercraft. The gabled left half of the house was incorporated into the George Hotel as the George Coffee House, and in 1985 the right half was demolished and replaced, becoming an Italian restaurant.

56 High Street
George Hotel (1968-)
Octopvs Bar (2007-)
58 High Street
George Hotel (1968-1998)
Giggling Squid, Thai Restaurant (2012-2015)
Vacant (2015-2016)
Royal Thai Taste, Thai Restaurant (2016-)

60 High Street

Ambrose Shaw repaired bicycles and sewing machines, and in the early 1900s added a motor-bike store. The business closed in the 1920s.

Ambrose Shaw & Son Engineers; Motor Engineers (1913-1924)
Emily M. Jones, Florist (1938)
E. M. Jones, Fruiterer (1951)
Heather, Florist (1968-72)
Heathercraft, Crafts & Models (1976-1980)
La Strada, Restaurant (1986)
Tortellini, Restaurant (1998)
Si, Restaurant (2006)
Prezzo, Restaurant (2012-)



27 High Street

The building was demolished in 1958 when Three Bridges Road - which became Haslett Avenue - was widened.

Elizabeth Annie Revitt, Draper (1913)
Sussex Electricity Supply Co.(1924)
Arnold W.Smith, Clothier (1938)
Smith Clothing, Outfitters (1951)


29 High StreetGrade II Listed (1981)
An early two storey 17th century house with central chimney. The front was stuccoed and given two small gables in the 19th century. There is a two storey Mid Victorian addition at the rear there was a complete 19th century corn chandlers yard consisting of a large barn, cart shed, stables, tack room and store.
By 1839 it was a blacksmith's and about 1870 John Penfold opened his corn, seed and coal merchants business here. After Penfold's moved out in 1981 the building was redeveloped.
John Penfold & Son Corn Merchants; Garden Equipment; Pets (1913-1980)
Pronuptia, Bridal Wear (1986)
Pounds, Mens Wear (1986)
Taylor Robinson, Estate Agent (1998-2006)
Deloitte & Touche, Accountant (1998)
Richard, Place, Dobson, Chartered Accountants (2006)
Vacant (2012-)


St. John's House, 29-35 High Street
Vacant (2014-2016)
T Lounge Tanning (2016-)
T Lounge, Tea Room (2016-2017)
Vacant (2018-)


31-33 High StreetLocally Listed

A neo-classical style building built in the mid 19th century.

31 High Street
Wm. Peylon & Co., Boot Mas. (1913)
Henry Killner / Lily Killner, Boot & Shoe Maker (1924-1951)
Trustee Savings Bank (1968)
Skinner & Rose, Estate Agent (1972)
CA Hamilton Smith, Estate Agent (1976-1980)
Alliance Estates, Estate Agent (1986)
Crawley News (1998-2005)
Ricoco Hairdresser and Beauty Salon (2006-2007)
Vacant (2012-2017)
The Hub on the High Street, Charity and Volunteering (2017-)
33 High Street
Nash, Geo. Hairdresser (1913)
Frank Rich, Tobacconist (1924-1951)
Alfred George Kale, Tobacconist (1938)
Kales Mens Hairdresser, Tobacconist & Leather Goods (1968-1976)
Travelcare, Travel Agent (1980)
Alliance Estates, Estate Agent (1986)
Crawley News (1998)
Ricoco Hairdresser and Beauty Salon (2006)
Vacant (2012-2017)
The Hub on the High Street, Charity and Volunteering (2017-)


35 High Street
H. Gravely, Baker & Confectioner
John Arthur Hill, Baker (1913-1951)

The original building was demolished and replaced by a new building in the 1960s. This building was demolished in October 2009.

Johnson Brothers Carpets (1968-1976)
Bejam, Frozen Food Store (Bought by Iceland in 1989) (1980-1989)
Iceland Supermarket (1989-2009)

A new building replaced the above.

Vacant (2013-)


37 High StreetLocally Listed
Caroline Strutton, Dressmaker (1913)
Cook, Chart & Co., Pianoforte Dealers (1924)
Albert Percival Giles, Ironmonger (1938-1951)
Tubbs, Son, Giles & Co., Chartered. Accountants (1951)
W. G. Allen, Dentist (1951)
British School of Motoring, Driving School (1968)
Vintage Antiques (1972-1980)
Busy Bodies, Ladies Wear (1986)
Riva Hair & Nail Fashion (1998-2006)
Vacant (2012)
Lloyds, Barber (2013-)
First Floor 37 High Street
Dickies, Suit Hire (2006-2017)
37 High Street
Acres, Baker (1968)
British School of Motoring, Driving School (1972-1986)
Dickies, Suit Hire (1998-2006)
Vacant (2012)
Cheque Centre, Personal Finance (-2014)
Vacant (2014-2015)
K&K Salon (2015-2017)
Vacant (2017-)


39 High StreetGrade II Listed (1983)
Albert Percival Giles, Oil & Color Man / Ironmonger (1913-1951)
Tubbs, Son, Giles & Co., Chartered. Acountants (1951)
W. G. Allen, Dentist (1951)
Halifax Building Society, Building Society Offices (1968-1972)
Tobbs, Son & Giles & Co., Solicitors & Var. Offices (1976-1980)
Vacant (1986)
Hoskins, Estate Agent (1998-2006)
Mansell McTaggart, Estate Agent (2012-)
39A High Street
Crawley Insurance Brokers (1986)
Smiffy's Antique & Secondhand Furniture (1998-2012)
Vacant


Old Cottages

Cottages were demolished to make way for a new entrance to St. John's Church, which was formerly opened by the Rev. Barratt-Lennard in 1898.



41 High StreetLocally Listed
Lewis Christopher Down, Wireless Engineer (1938)
The Courier, Printing & Publishing (1951)
The Match Box, Confectioner & Tobacconist (1968-1976)
A Matter of Taste, Tobacconist, Newsagent, Confectioner; Food Takeaway (1980)
Matchbox, Video (1986)
Mercury Homes, Estate Agent (1998-2006)
Vacant (2012)
Ace Cars, Taxi (2014-2016)
Metro Cars, Taxi (2016-)


43 High StreetLocally Listed

Albany Coffee and Dining Rooms

Charles Burgess, Draper (1913)
Ethel Pook, Draper (1924)
E.R. Williams, Draper (1938)
The Juvenile Fashion Shop, Crawley Co-op. Society (1951)
Her Clothes, Ladies Fashion (1968-1972)
Victoria & Albert, Mens & Ladies Fashion (1976)
A Matter of Taste, Tobacconist, Newsagent, Confectioner; Food Takeaway (1980-2006)
Troy Kebab, Food Takeaway (2006-)
Alpha Cars, Taxi (2012-)
Rear of 43 High Street
Rogers, Cleaver & Forster, Jeweller (1976)
Sweeney Todd, Hairdresser (1986)


Church Path / Church Lane / Church Walk
Jewellery Workshop (1986)
1 Church Walk
James Barnes, Jeweller (1998)
James Stephens, Jeweller (2006-)
2 Church Walk
Art Shop Framing (1998-2014)
Love It!, Womens Wear (2014-2015)
Hercules Supplements, Sports Nutrition (2015-2016)
Vacant (2016-2017)
The Vapour Room - Electronic Cigarettes (2017-)
3 Church Walk
Vacant (1998)
Estrelicia, Restaurant (2006-)
Oasis (First floor), Health & Beauty (1998)
Curves (First floor), Health Club (2014-)
4 Church Walk
Styleistique, Hair (1998)
Estrelicia, Restaurant (2006-)
5 Church Walk
Hair Affair, Barbers (1998-2013)
Vacant (2013)
Elegant and Shine, Nail Care (2014-)
7 Church Walk
Rogers Cleaver & Forster, Jeweller (1998)
Zerooti Hair Design, Ladies Hairdresser (2006-2017)
Antonio, Hair Design (2017-)
8 Church Walk
Idle Saints, Tattoo & Piercing (2014-)
9 Church Walk
Solicitor (1998)
Bodyworks, Hair and Day Spa (2006-)
9A Church Walk
Body and Nail Works, Beauty Salon (1998)
Antonio, Hair Design (2006-2017)
Vacant (2017-2018)
Tyler Charles Hair Studio (2018-)
10 Church Walk
Crawley Donuts (2013)
Vacant (2013-2014)
ecigwizard, Electronic Cigarettes (2014-2018)
Vacant (2018-)
11 Church Walk
Smoke and Vapes Centre, Tobacconist (2013-)
13 Church Walk
Younique Hair, Hair and Beauty (2014-)
14 Church Walk
The Boardroom, Shoes & Sports (2013-2015)
Dirty Roses, Bridal Wear (2015-2018)
Tea Pot Social Club, Cafe (2018)
Vacant (2018-)

45-47 High StreetLocally Listed
45 High Street
Charles Burgess, Grocer (1913)
William Marsh, Grocer (1924)
Herbert G. Kingham, Grocer (1938)
Kingham's Stores, Grocer. & Provisions Merchant (1951)
Metro, Clothes-Care Footwear, Repair, Dry Cleaning, Laundry (1968-1976)
Vacant (1980)
Vacant (1986)
King & Chasemore, Estate Agent (1998-)
47 High Street
Charles Burgess, China & Glass Dealer (1913)
George T.H. Banks, Architect (1924)
William Marsh, Grocer (1924)
Herbert G. Kingham, Grocer (1938)
Kingham's Stores, Grocer. & Provisions Merchant (1951)
Ancient Priors Café (1951)
Metro, Clothes-Care Footwear, Repair, Dry Cleaning, Laundry (1968-1972)
J & J, Laundry (1980)
Whispers, Ladies Hairdresser (1986)
Olivers, Bar & Restaurant (1998)
Blue India, Indian Restaurant (2006)
Chimichanga, Mexican Restaurant (2012-2018)
Vacant (2018-)
47a High Street
High Speed Cleaners, Dyers & Cleaners (1938)
El Gringo, Ladies & Mens Fashion (1976-1980)
Passport, Clothes (1986)
Vacant (1998)
Estrelicia, Cafe


49-51 High Street - The Ancient PriorsGrade II* Listed (1948)
A two storey timber-framed hall-house, about 1450, with projecting first floors at the front and Horsham slab roof. A two storey L-wing, probably a kitchen wing, was added about 1530 at the south end and a modern brick wing later. A chimney and floor were inserted in the 16th century. There are two 16th century stone fireplaces in the ground and first floor rooms at the north end.

It later became the Whyte Harte Inn, and was a repository for smuggled contraband in secret rooms and passages. Leonard Gale lived in the house in the 17th century, and it later passed into the Blunt family. Lady Wentworth, along with other parts of the Crabbet Park estate, sold it in 1916. It had acquired a false plaster and timber front, but restoration work in 1927 revealed the original exterior. It has been a farmhouse, an inn and an antiques shop, and is now a restaurant.

49 High Street
George Adolphus Parkhurst, / John Wyndham Parkhurst, Dealer in Antiquities (1913-1924)
Charman, Harry Café (1938)
A. Louis, Ladies Hardresser (1968-1980)
Minter's Restaurant & Wine Bar (1977-1983)
Solomons, Restaurant (1983-1988)
Graves Jenkins, Surveyor & PSL Office (1998-2006)
Ask, Italian Restaurant (2006-)
Anthony Morris, Solicitors (2012-)
51 High Street
George Adolphus Parkhurst, / John Wyndham Parkhurst, Dealer in Antiquities (1913-1924)
Harry Charman, Confectioner (1938)
Ancient Priors, Restaurant (1968-1972)
The Top Table, Restaurant (1976)
Ancient Priors, Restaurant (1980)
Minter's Restaurant & Wine Bar (1977-1983)
Solomons, Restaurant (1983-1988)
Graves Jenkins, Surveyor & PSL Office (1998)
Ask, Italian Restaurant (2006)
51b High Street
James Edward Garner, Boot & Shoe Maker & Dealer (1924-1938)
Ancient Priors, Sweet Shoppe Confectioner (1951)

49, High Street Crawley, Nadine Hygate (1994)
Sussex Archaeological Collections Vol LV (1912) pp 12-16

53-59 High Street

The original building was demolished and replaced by one with dormer windows by about 1910.

53 High Street
London Central Meat Co. Ltd., Butchers (1913-1951)
Flinns, Dry Cleaners (1968-1972)
Bollom, Dry Cleaners (1976-1986)
Johnsons Dry Cleaners (1998-2012)
The Hive, Bar
53a High Street
W. & Co. Simms, Electrical Engineers (1913)
Alfred George Kale, Tobacconist (1924)
Sidney Charles Withers, Wireless Dealer (1938)
London Central Meat Co. Ltd., Butchers (1951)
Vacant (2012-)
55 High Street
John Goble - Fruiterer (1913)
Arnold William Smith, Clothier (1924)
Sussex Electricity Supply Co. (1938)
South Eastern Electricity Board (1951)
Crawley Surplus Store, Mens Outfitter; Clothing & Camping (1968-2011)
Istanbul Barbeque, Turkish Restaurant (2012)
Sultan, Turkish Restaurant (2013-) (First floor only from 2018)
Best Kebab, Food Take-away (2018-)
57 High Street
Henry Boon, Picture Frame Maker (1913)
Reginald Minton Crowe, Picture Frame Maker, Printseller; Antiques & Fancy Goods (1924-1968)
Marion C. Crowe, Photographer (1938)
Flinn & Son, Dyers & Cleaners; Dry Cleaners (1938)
RM Crowe, Antiques & Fancy Goods (1972)
The Art Shop, Antiques & Fancy Goods (1976-2000)
Connells, Estate Agent (1998-)
57a High Street
Flinn & Son, Dyers & Cleaners (1924)
59 High Street
Wright & Co., Grocers (1913-1924)
Ernest Wright, Grocer (1938)
Teetgen & Co.; Teetgens Grocers; Delicatessen and Provisions (1951-1968)
Dearmans, Delicatessen and Provisions (1972)
Crawley Delicatessen, Delicatessen and Provisions (1976-1980)
Vacant (1986)
La Bodega, Restaurant (1998-2006)
Pincho's, Spanish Restaurant (2010-2012)
Blue India, Indian Restaurant (2013-)

61-63 High Street
61 High Street
Joseph Herrett, Dairy (1913-1924)
Alesbury Dairy, Dairyman (1938)
Reynold's Café, Café; Baker & Restaurant (1951-1968)
Captains Cabin/Captains Diner, Restaurant (1972-1986)
Cheltenham & Gloucester, Building Society (1998-2006)
63 High Street
Frederick Whitebread & Co., Cycle Agents (1913)
Charles Gadsdon, Motor Engineer (1924)
H. Hemsley & Sons, Florists (1938)
J. W. Hemsley, Fruiterers, Florists & Seedsman; Fruit & Vegetables (1951-1972)
Health Foods (WM Rowe), Health Foods, Fruit & Vegetables (1976)
Vacant (1980)
Cheepies, Ladies Wear (1986)

The above building was replaced.


61 High Street
Leaders. Letting Agent (2012-)


65 High Street - The White HartGrade II Listed (1983)
Plastered two storey 18th century inn which was extended to the north about 1830.

The White Hart Inn is at 65 High Street.



67 High Street

William Mitchell built this house on the northern end of the White Hart, were he received the post. In 1883 the Post Office was transferred to larger premises. The building was demolished in 1953.

Alice J Snelling, Confectioner (1913-1924)
C.D. Wiles, Confectioner (1938)
Mrs. Denman, Confectioner (1951)


Cross Keys

The row of houses behind the White Hart were known as the Cross Keys.


High Street

A building (The White Hart Coach House?) behind which stood the stables for the White Hart.




The buildings in the centre of the square grew from a small 16th century cottage later sandwiched between Victorian additions. They were demoloished in 1958 together with shops at the junction with Three Bridges Road.