Charles Harper recalls a local joke in his book of 1892: 'Nearing Crawley a wag enquires whether we are aware that this is the longest village in the world, and on admitting our ignorance of this geographical fact, he points out the "Sun" at one end and the "Moon" at the other.' He is of course referring to the Sun Inn, Northgate (now demolished) and the Half Moon, Hoggs Hill, Southgate, which were just over a mile apart.

Originally part of Horsham and Cuckfield local authorities, Crawley Urban District Council was formed in 1956. In 1974 Crawley became a borough.

Brighton Road
Station Road
High Street, Southern End
Three Bridges Road
Robinson Road
Crawley Square, Church Walk
Ifield Road
Crawley Green
High Street, Northern End & London Road

From the Ordnance Survey 1" sheet 182, 1940