Crawley Green

Please note that the lists below are largely based on directories for 1913, 1924, 1938 and 1951, Goad plans for 1968, 1972, 1976, 1980, 1986, 1998, 2006 and 2012 and later personal surveys, and consequently are incomplete.
62-68? High Street

Built in 1815, demolished and replaced by Grand Parade in 1939.

62 High Street
Frederick I. Sealey, Tailor (1913)
Edward Wigelsworth, Tailor (1924)
66 High Street
George Wales, Chimney Sweeper (1913)

Sussex & Surrey Courier, 5th August 1939
70 High Street

Demolished and replaced by Grand Parade in 1939.

George James Fisher, Motor Engineer (1924)


72-74 High Street

Dating from the early middle ages, this building became the Central Garage before being demolished in the late 1930s to make way for Grand Parade.

Central Garage Ltd. (1938)


76-78 High Street

Oak Tree Coffee House was at 76 and 78 High Street. It was demolished along with other cottages in the late 1930s to make way for Grand Parade.

Oak Tree Coffee House, (1913)
Herbert William Stevens, Coffee Rooms (1924)


80 High Street



Grand ParadeLocally Listed

Grand Parade was built in 1939, but completion was interrupted by the war. In the 1950's two shops were added at the southern end, but the two which should have been at the northern end were never built. Crawley Market occupied the site where the two shops were to have been, and if you look at the end wall you will see bricks protruding from the wall ready for the additional shops.

1 Grand Parade
The Evening Argus (1956-1998)
Cubitt & West, Estate Agent (2006)
Roosters Piri Piri, Take-away (2012-2015)
Reds Piri Piri, Take-away (2015-)
2 Grand Parade
Crawley Tools, Hardware & Machines (1968-1986)
Woolwich Property Services, Estate Agebt (1998)
Woolwich, Building Society (2006)
Cubitt & West, Estate Agents (2012-2014)
Vacant (2015-2017)
Cubitt & West, Estate Agents (2017-)
3 Grand Parade
Boots Cash Chemists (1951)
Elizabeth, Ladies Wear (1968-1980)
Vacant (1986)
Woolwich, Building Society (1998-2006)
Cubitt & West, Estate Agents (2012-)
4 Grand Parade
Ministry of Labour and National Service, Men's Deptartment (1951)
Portslade Garages, Garage & Car Showroom (1968)
The Sound Studio, Audio & Hi-Fi (1972)
China Choice, China & Glass (1976-1980)
Davies & Tate, Home Improvements (1986)
Bennetts, Insurance Agents (1998-2006)
Swinton Insurance, Insurance Agents (2012-2017)
Vacant (2017-2019)
Crama Romaneasca Crawley, Restaurant (2019-)
5 Grand Parade
C. G. Angel, Car Hire (1951)
Bellman's, Wool Shop (1951)
Portslade Garages, Garage & Car Showroom (1968)
Woolwich Equitable Building Society (1972-1986)
Crawley Tools (1998-2006)
Saffron Lounge, Indian Restaurant (2012-2015)
Spice Indian Kitchen and Bar, Indian Restaurant (2015-2016)
Spice I Am, Thai Restaurant (2016)
Vacant (2016-2019)
Crama Romaneasca Crawley, Restaurant (2019-)
6 Grand Parade
F. W. Woolworth Co. (1951)
Southern Counties, Garage & Showroom (1968-1972)
Vacant (1976)
Halifax, Building Society (1980-1986)
Jubilee Oak (1998-)
7 Grand Parade
Ministry of Labour & National Service, Women's Department (1951)
William Hill, Betting Office (1968-)
8 Grand Parade
Inland Revenue Valuation Office (1951)
Francis Chappell, Undertaker (1968-)
9 Grand Parade
Inland Revenue Valuation Office (1951)
Crawley Advertiser (1968-1980)
Crawley News (1986)
Mann, Estate Agents & Letting Agents (1998-2006)
United Cars, Taxi (2014-)
Immy Barbers (2014-)
10 Grand Parade
Crawley Market (15 Stalls) (1968-2006)

Telephone KiosksGrade II Listed (1988)

82 High Street

A regency building with bow windows built about 1810. Converted into shops, in later years it was Camfield's tailors shop. Camfield's was demolished in 1965 when the garage was rebuilt and enlarged.

F. Camfield, Ladies' & Gent's Tailor (1951)


84 High Street

Knitter' Corner. Demolished in 1965 to provide more space for a garage and service station.

Miss C. Donald, Wools (1951)


Rose Cottages, 86-92 High Street

A timber-framed building dating back to the middle ages, converted into separate houses in the 18th-century. Crawley & Ifield Co-Op was opened in one of these cottages in 1888. Demolished in 1953 they were replaced by Field's garage and service station.

86 High Street
Hy. Joseph Goss, China Dealer (1913)
Frederick Camfield, Taylor (1938)
88 High Street
Caroline Donald, Wool Repository (1938)


82-92 High Street

A garage was built in 1953 replacing 86-92 High Street, and extended in 1965 replacing 82-84 High Street. The garage was demolished in 1982 and Barclays Bank now stands on the site.

82-84 High Street
Fields of Crawley, Garage (1965-1976)
Sussex Toyata, Garage (1980)
86-92 High Street
Fields of Crawley, Garage (1953-1976)
Sussex Toyata, Garage (1980)

90 High Street
WH Smith Business Centre, Computers (1986)
Barclays Bank (1998-)
92 High Street
Barclays Bank (1986-)


Orchard Street

94-98 High Street
94 High Street
C. Van Melsen, Ladies' Hairdresser (1951)
Elaine, Ladies' Hairdresser (1968-1970)
Sargent & Partner, Estate Agent (1972-1980)
Nationwide, Building Society (1986-2006)
Curriander, Indian Restaurant (2008)
Kebabish Original, Indian Restaurant, Burgers and kebabs (2010)
Desi Grill and Karahi House, Indian Restaurant (2012)
KFC, Food Take-away (2013-)
96 High Street
H. B. Fielder, Tobacconist; Fielders, Confectioner & Tobacconist (1951-1972)
Kentucky Fried Chicken / KFC, Food Take-away (1976-)
98 High Street
Doreen's Cafe (1951)
Happy Valley, Chinese Restaurant (1968-1980)
? Fortune, Chinese Restaurant (1986)
Fortune Villa, Chinese Restaurant (1990-2006)
Vacant (2012)
Troy Barbeque, Food Take-away (2013-)

Embassy Cinema (1938-2000)
Bar Med, Bar & Restaurant (2000-2012)

The Cinema was demolished in December 2012 and the site re-developed. Three restaurants are due to open during 2014.


Albany Temperance Hotel, 104 High Street

Tom Terry established the Albany Temperance Hotel in about 1900 for those who did not want to stay in a licensed inn. The hotel closed by 1938 when the Embassy Cinema was built on the same site.



Albany Cottage, 112-114 High Street

Albany cottage was replaced by Sussex House and the Bowling Alley, which were built in 1965.


100-102 High Street
Sussex House, 100 High Street
102 High Street
Star Ballroom (1968)
Starlight Ballroom (1970-1980)
Coral Social Club (1986)
Vacant (1998-2006)

Restaurant (1968)
Golden Griddle; Pepe's Golden Griddle, Restaurant (1970-1998)
Vacant (2006)

Crawley Bowl, Bowling Alley (1968-1998)
Vacant (2006)

Sussex House and the Bowling Alley were demolished and the site re-developed.
100 High Street
Turtle Bay, Caribbean Restaurant (2014-)
Morrisons, Supermarket (2014-)
Travelodge, Hotel (2013-)
Creams Cafe, Dessert Parlour (2016-)

Yew Tree Cottage
S. J. Snelling, Private Car Hire (1951)

Pegler Way

Crawley Elm and Crawley Green

The Elm, which stood on the Green, had a doorway on the south side opening into a hollow trunk. Inside the trunk was large enough for a table and chairs, and for villagers to hold public feasts. The tree was largley cut down, becuase it was dying, in October 1935, and was finally removed in September 1954.

The Jubilee Oak was planted in 1887 to mark the 50th anniversary of Queen Victoria's reign. Other trees were planted on the green to commemorate Royal events, including the Coronation of George V and Queen Mary in 1911 and the visit of Princess Elizabeth in January 1950.

Wayfarer Denman's Crawley Revisited. Nadine Hygate (Nadine Hygate, 1993)

Morley's Forge and Yard

Off the High Street ran a yard leading to Morley's Forge.


73 High Street
Stanley John Snelling, Motor Car Propr. (1938)
M. Park, Veterinary Surgeon (1951)

75-81 High Street

The cottages were demolished in 1953 to make way for the Broadwalk.

75 High Street
Lillian Snelling, Dressmaker (1938)
77 High Street
Frederick Heathfield, Refreshment Rooms (1924-1938)
79 High Street
William Corke, Boot Maker (1913)
John Butcher, Boot & Shoe Maker & Dealer (1924)
John Edward Cheeseman, Boot & Shoe Repairer; Boot Repairer (1938-1951)

83-85 High Street Brewery ShadesGrade II Listed (1948)
A 15th century 2- bay hall, the ground floor is stuccoed and the first floor modern tile-hung. The floor and chimney were inserted in the 17th century, with further alterations in the 18th and 19th centuries. Two gables on to the street were inserted. The windows are mainly modern casement and the shop fronts are modern.

Brewery Shades (-1986)
The Hogshead (1998)
Brewery Shades (2012-)
83 High Street
George Randall, Fishmonger (1913)
Emma Scannell, Beer Retailer (1924)
85 High Street
Francis James Vant, Beer Retailer (1913)
Emma Scannell, Beer Retailer (1924)

87 High Street
87 High Street
Alice Chantler, Draper; Shopkeeper; Miss A. Chantler, General Shop (1913-1951)
L. Young, Fruit & Vegetables (1968)
Top Wear, Ladies Wear (1980)
Oriental Emporium - Grocer (1986-)
87a High Street
O. & G. Thompsett, Boot Dealers; Bootmakers; Ladies Footwear (1938-1968)
Oriental Emporium - Grocer (1972-1980)


Bank Lane
8 Bank Lane
Spice World - Indian Take-away (2006-)


Old Cottages, 91-99 High Street

The building just to the south of the Punch Bowl look late 18th century, but concealed a timber framed building, probably 16th century. In late Victorian times it was faced with brick, and divided into three cottages. They were demolished in 1965 and replaced by modern shops, including an Argos store.


91-99 High Street
91 High Street
George Randall, Fishmonger (1913-1938)
Holmes & Cole, Ladies and Gent's Tailors (1951)
93 High Street
Alfred Field, Motor Engineer; Field's Garage (1924-1951)
95 High Street
Alfred Field, Motor Engineer; Field's Garage (1924-1951)
99 High Street
C. D. Wales, Builder & Decorator (1951)

The Old Cottages above were demolished and replaced in 1965.
91-93 (Renumbered 91 c. 2013) High Street
Tesco, Supermarket (1968)
Green Shield Stamps, Gift Shop (1972-1976)
Argos, Catalogue Showroom (1980-1986)
Rat and Parrot (1998-2011)
Legends, Bar (2012-2014)
Vacant (2014-2019)
Tamashah, Indian Restaurant, Bar & Lounge (2019-)
95 (Renumbered 93 c. 2013) High Street
Matthews, Butcher (1968-1976)
Abbey National, Building Society (1980-1986)
BSM, Driving School (1998-2006)
Renumbered 93 High Street
Angelique, Bar (2012-)
97 (Renumbered 95 c. 2013) High Street
Cyril Lord, Carpets (1968)
Thomas Cook, Travel Agent (1970-1980)
Ronald Henry, Hairdresser (1986)
Headquarters, Hairdresser (1998)
Subway, Sandwich Bar (2012-)
99 (Renumbered 97 c. 2013) High Street
Ina's, Cards (1968-1976)
Alliance, Building Society (1980)
Alliance & Leicester, Building Society (1986)
Domino's Pizza, Take-away (1998-)

Punch Bowl, Ye Olde Punche Bowle, Old House, 101 High Street Grade II* Listed (1948)

A Wealdon type 15th century two-bay hall with plaster infilling and brick to ground floor on a stone base. It was subsequently extended by one bay northward, and a chimney and floor was added in the 16th century. The upper storeys are jettied at the north and south ends.

By the turn of the 17th century, it had become a farmhouse known as The Mitchells. By 1900 it had been divided into two dwellings. Apparently the building was to be demolished in 1914, but the First World War intervened.

Following major restoration it opened as Ye Olde Punche Bowle tea rooms in 1930. It was sold in 1952 to the National Provincial Bank (from 1968 National Westminster Bank), closing in 1992. In 1994 it became the Old Punch Bowl public house.


Fred Jennings, Wheelwright (1924)
Ye Olde Punch Bowle, Refreshment Rooms (1938-1951)
National Provincial Bank; National Westminster Bank (1952-1992)
Old Punch Bowl (1994-)


Ye Olde Punch Bowle. Nadine Hygate (Green King, 1995)

Barn


The Rectory - High Street

The Rectory was built in the 1840s and stood near the site of Woodall Duckham House in the Boulevard. It was demolished in 1959.



The Rectory Lodge


Old Barn

At the rear of the Tree was a 15th century building which was known as the 'old barn'. The building was originally at least five bays long, jettied on one side, but had been shortened to three bays. The ground floor was divided between the bays and the first floor was a long open room which may have been used as a communal meeting place. The Crawley New Town Commission decided to demolish it, but it was dismantled in 1972 and re-erected in 1977 at the Weald and Downland Museum near Chichester. Modern bays have been added at each end to replace the missing ends. The museum's library is on the ground floor and the first floor hall is used as a meeting room.


The Tree, 103 High StreetGrade II Listed (1948)
Late 15th century or early 16th century two storey hall embedded in brick. An entrance hall was added on the east side and a 2 storey wing extending the west front was added in the early 18th century. The house was restored about 1936.

Dr. Thomas Smith lived and practised at the Tree House from 1828 to 1862. One of his students, John Leech, left his practice in 1834 to become an artist, becoming an illustrator for Charles Dickens and chief illustrator and cartoonist for Punch magazine. Dr. Smith was succeeded by Dr. Timothy Martin, who wrote a history of the Tree House and its famous occupants. After Smith's death in 1862 his five daughters continued to live in the house until the death of the last one in 1935.

Crawley Museum partially opened with a temporary exhibition at The Tree on 5th May 2018, following a move from Goffs Park House. The museum expects to open fully on 1st July 2018.


The Boulevard