Religion and Funerary

Assemblies of God — 103 High Street

Baptist Church

Crawley Baptist Church was built in Station Road in 1883, its first minister was James McAnslane. The church was severely damaged in an air raid in February 1943, but meetings continued in the remaining halls at the rear until 1954. What remained of the original building was demolished in 1985. A new church was built in Crabtree Road, West Green, opening in June 1954, but was demolished in 2002 and the present building on the site was completed in 2003.

The Barn Church, Bewbush

See Saint Mary Magdelene Church.

Bethel Particular Baptist Chapel

Bethel Particular Baptist Chapel was built in 1858 in New Road (later Robinson Road). It closed in 1969 but re-opened two years later as Crawley Reformed Baptist Church.

Brethren Meeting Room — Plymouth Brethren — Povey Cross Road

The Meeting Room was built about 2000.

Christadelphian Ecclesia — Gales Place, Three Bridges

The Christadelphians met at Three Bridges community centre by 1971.

Christ Church — Congregational/United Reformed Church — Worth Park Avenue, Pound Hill

Founded in 1955, the building in Worth Park Avenue opened in 1957. In 1972 the Congregational and Presbyterian churches united becoming the United Reformed Church. In December 2010 Christ Church and Trinity Church, Ifield, amalgamated with a change of name to Crawley United Reformed Church.

Christ Church — Evangelical Church — Brewer Road, Southgate

Southgate Hall opened in 1957 as a Plymouth Brethren meeting room. It became an Evangelical Church in the 1980s.

Christ the Lord — Church of England, Roman Catholic, United Reformed and Evangelical Church — Broadfield

Christ the Lord members first met in the minister's home in the 1970s. A meeting in 1973 inaugurated a shared church project, the Churches Mission in Broadfield between Church of England, United Reformed and Roman Catholic congregations. They started to meet in the Community Hut at Broadfield, and in 1979 the foundation stone for a new church building was laid adjacent to Broadfield Barton shopping parade. The church was officially opened by the Duchess of Norfolk in 1980. In the 1980s the United Reformed congregation ceased meeting and some of their members formed a new congregation, Broadfield Christian Fellowship.

The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints (Mormons) — Church — Old Horsham Road

The Mormons have been in the Crawley area since the 19th century. Sir Thomas Bennett designed the current chapel and its associated hall, which opened in 1964.

Congregational Church

The Congregational Church was built in New Road (later Robinson Road) in 1859.

Sources & Further Reading
Wayfarer Denman's Crawley Revisited, Nadine Hygate (1993), pp. 21-23
Crawley News, 24th May 2000

Crawley Christian Fellowship Centre — Church — 106 Ifield Road

Crawley Community Church — Non-denominational Church — Charis Centre, West Green Drive

Part of the Newfrontiers family of churches, meetings were originally held in a house in Southgate before moving to the Charis Centre.

Crawley Mosque — Muslim (Sunni) — Broadwood Rise, Broadfield

The Sunni Mosque and Islamic centre were built in 1994, before which a house in Broadfield had been used as a mosque since the 1980s.

Crawley New Life Church — Pentecostal Church — The Glade, Furnace Green

Affiliated with the Assemblies of God, a Pentecostal denomination, meetings were held above 36 The Boulevard until the current church was built in 1981.

Crawley Spiritualist Church and Healing Centre — Capel Lane, Gossops Green

Founded in November 1950, meetings were held in a members home before using temporary accommodation in a Girl Guides hut known as Goffs Hall, a Community hut, a St Johns Ambulance hut, and then back to Goffs Hall in Southgate. The church moved to a permanent home in Capel Lane in 1980.

Crawley United Reformed Church — Worth Park Avenue, Pound Hill

In December 2010 Christ Church, Pound Hill, amalgamated with Trinity Church, Ifield, with a change of name to Crawley United Reformed Church based at the Christ Church building in Worth Park Avenue.

Elim Church — Pentecostal Church — Langley Drive and The Mardens, Ifield Drive, Ifield

Elim church was established in Langley Green in the 1950s, meeting in community centres until 1971, when the Elim Pentecostal church, Langley Drive opened. They left Langley Green and took over the former Trinity United Reformed Church (following their move to Pound Hill) in 2010. The Langley Green building has since become a mosque.

Franciscan Friary and Church of St. Francis and St. Anthony — Roman CatholicGrade II Listed (2007)

Interior of the original church

In the mid-nineteenth century the Roman Catholic congregation held their services in the coach house of Mrs. Montgomery's home, The Elms (later known as Buckswood Grange), in Horsham Road. In 1859 Mrs. Montgomery invited a group of Franciscan Friars to establish a church. The first Superior was Father Anthony of Monte Lupone, who lived with his companions in a cottage in the grounds of The Elms.

The original church and friary

A church and friary were built in Three Bridges Road (now Haslett Avenue) on land which had been part of White Hart Farm and was opened and blessed by Bishop Grant on 12th October 1861. The cost was borne by Mrs. Montgomery's cousin, Francis Blunt. Francis was laid to rest in the Friary Church, in a tomb covered by an effigy sculpted by his brother, Wilfrid. The last service in the original church was held in June 1958 before it was demolished.

The new church, a red and grey brick building with a pantile roof designed by Harry Stuart Goodhart-Rendel, was blessed and opened by the Right Rev. Cyril Cowdery, Bishop of Southwark on 18th November 1959. The main entrance is flanked by four sculptures of saints associated with the Capuchin order. It became the Roman Catholic parish church when the Friars left in 1981. The rest of the site, including the friary which was demolished in 1983, was redeveloped as offices. A new church hall was opened in 1986 which was dedicated by the Bishop of Arundel and Brighton, and the church was altered in 1995.

Friends Meeting House, Ifield

A Quaker meeting house for worship, it was built in 1676. William Penn and Elizabeth Fry were associated with it.

Green Fields Baptist Church

See South Crawley Baptist Church.

Gurjar Hindu Union — Apple Tree Centre, Ifield Avenue, Ifield

The Gurjar Hindu Union was formed in 1968. In 1998 they converted warehouse in Spencers Road into a temporary community centre, and in 2010 opened a purpose built temple at the Apple Tree centre in 2010.

Holy Trinity Church — Anglican Church — Titmus Drive, Tilgate

The church was built in 1959.

Jehovah's Witnesses — Kingdom Hall Barnfield Road, Northgate and Jubilee Walk, Three Bridges

In 1958 a Kingdom Hall was established in the Broadway. In 1965 the Three Bridges and Tilgate Congregations were established in Three Bridges and in the same year the Broadfield and Ifield Congregations were established in Northgate.

Jewish Community — Brighton Road, Southgate

A Jewish congregation met at the Quaker meeting house in Ifield about 1971. Crawley Progressive Jewish Community was founded in 1959.

Langley Green Mosque — Muslim (Sunni) — Martyrs Avenue, Langley Green

Founded in 1984 in a house on London Road. The house was demolished and a new mosque opened in 2014.

Little Trees Cemetary — Tollgate Hill Roundabout, Broadfield

The cemetary opened in 2017.

Maidenbower Baptist Church — Maidenbower Square, Maidenbower

Established in 1971 in Crawley town centre the congregation moved to Maidenbower Community Centre in 1996. The present building opened in 2001.

Noor Ahmadiyya Mosque — Muslim (Ahmadiyya) — Langley Drive, Langley Green

Formerly the Elim Pentecostal Church, bought in 2012 and opened as a mosque in 2014.

Our Lady Queen of Heaven — Roman Catholic — Stagelands, Langley Green

The church was opened 1959.

Saint Alban's Church — Anglican — Gossops Drive, Gossops Green

The church met in a temporary building for four years before the current church, designed by TF Ford, opened in 1962.

Saint Andrew's Church — Anglican — Weald Drive, Furnace Green

Begun in 1968, it is associated with a primary school. The original church was demolished and a new building opened in September 2010.

Saint Barnabas Church — Anglican — Worth Road, Pound Hill

The site for St. Barnabas was financed from the sale of land given to the Church Council by Sir Desmond Montefiore. The new church and hall cost approximately 18,000, and was dedicated on Saturday 8th October, 1955 by the Bishop of Chichester, Dr. G.K.A. Bell. A hall was added in 1972.

Saint Bernadette — Roman Catholic — Tilgate Way, Tilgate

The church was built in 1962.

Saint Edward the Confesssor — Roman Catholic — Hillcrest Close, Pound Hill

The church was built in 1965.

Saint Elizabeth's Church — Anglican — Barnfield Road, Northgate

The church was built in 1958, and enlarged in 1965. For financial reasons services ended in 2005 and the building leased to a dancing and drama school. A 'New Generation' school for children using drama, songs, and dance is held on Sundays, with a monthly family service.

Saint Francis and Saint Anthony — Roman Catholic

See Franciscan Friary and Church of Saint Francis and Saint Anthony.

Saint John The Baptist Church — AnglicanGrade II* Listed (1948)

The church dates from the thirteenth century, and was originally a chapel belonging to the parish of Slaugham. It is built of Sussex limestone with Horsham slab roofs, except the chancel which is tiled. The tower was under construction in 1467, as a will of that date refers to the work, and during this period the chapel walls were heightened with the addition of new windows in the south wall, finished with an oak roof, and the nave extended. By the end of the 15th century it became a church independent of Slaugham, and parish church about 1551. The tower was heightened by six courses in 1804. The marble font is 13th century, the oak pulpit early 17th century and alter rails early 18th century.

The Rev. John Barrett-Lennard was responsible for restoring the church, and improving the surrounding land. Many of the Victorian additions were due to him and date from the 1880s, including and aisle and porch on the north side, the extension of the chancel by 17 feet with an organ chamber and vestry on the north side. A gallery on the west side was removed, the nave and aisles refloored and new bells installed. Cottages were demolished to make a new entrance to the church from the High Street in 1898, using money raised from a fete to mark Queen Victoria's Diamond Jubilee in 1897. A clock was added as a memorial to Queen Victoria in 1901, the war memorial unveiled on Armistice Day 1920 and the oak entrance gates were replaced by a brick wall in 1950. The Rectory was built in about 1870 and stood near the site of Woodall Duckham House in the Boulevard.

Rectors: Spencer James Lewin from 1817 to 1856; John Soper from 1856 to 1876; John Barrett Lennard from 1876 to 1898; Herbert Lorraine Barrett-Lennard from 1899 to 1928; Henry Arden Kennett Baynes from 1929 to 1938; Alfred Douglas Wing from 1938 to 1946; David Leslie Couper from 1946 to 1951; Cuthbert Hilary Butler from 1951 to 1958; Preb. Clifford Earwicker from 1958 to 1968; Peter Mumford from 1968 to 1973; Bernard Herbert Vincent Brown from 1973 to 1983; Michael Arthur John Goode from 1983 to 1993; Keith David Richards from 1993 to 1998; Malcolm David Liles from 1998.

Sources & Further Reading
The Church of St. John the Baptist Crawley, Roger Bastable (2000)

Saint Leonard's Church, Langley Green

The church Opened in 1954. Struggling to find support for their rector and a 70,000 bill for roof repairs the congregation voted to close the church. The last service was held on 29th December 2013.

Saint Margaret's Church of England, IfieldGrade I Listed (1948 & 1983)

The altar end of St Margaret dates from the early thirteenth century, with side aisles added in the fourteenth century. A large gallery for musicians and box pews for the congregation were added in 1760. In 1847 a new vestry and bell turret were added, the tower was built in 1883 and the lychgate added in 1899. Inside are two tombs, dated 1340, probably those of Sir John de Ifelde and his wife, Lady Margaret. A stone Table Tomb, circa 1800, with inscriptions commemorating George and Mary Hutchinson is near the south porch and is Grade II Listed (1983). Mark Lemon, the first editor of Punch, is buried in the churchyard.

Vicars: S.J. Lewin from 1790 to 1850; R.N. Blaker from 1850; Walter Loveband from 1888 to 1919; Lubin Spence Creasy from 1920 to 1927; Andrew Edward Leslie Sayers from 1927 to 1931; Bernard Bloomer Ford from 1931 to 1934; Graham Roy Barnett from 1934 to 1939; Everard Duncan Deane from 1940.

Saint Mary's Church of England, Southgate

St Mary's was built in 1958, combining a church and hall under one curved concrete roof.

Saint Mary Magdelene Church of England, Bewbush

Since 1985 a Church of England group met in Bewbush Community Centre before Bewbush Barn - a 17th century Grade II listed building which was purchased from Crawley Borough Council for 1 - opened as a church in 1999.

Saint Michael and All Angels Church, Lowfield HeathGrade II* Listed (1948)

The church was designed by William Burgess, in early 13th century French Gothic style, and was built by Mr Brown of Copthorne, the foundation stone being laid in 1867. It was consecrated on 1st December 1868.

The church features a rose window on the west wall which is surrounded by carved panels representing the Four Ages of Man. St Michael and the Dragon is carved over the west doorway; there is a small carving of a Pekinese dog, which had belonged to the builder and was killed after running into the road. It was singled out for praise by the late Sir John Betjeman. From 27th November 1959 the church transferred from the ecclesiastical parish of Charlwood to Crawley. It is now the only building remaining from the village. The Seventh-day Adventist Church took over the building in 2008.

Vicars: Vivian Greaves Banham from 1911 to 1926.

Sources & Further Reading
Lowfield Heath Remembered. Jean Shelly (1984)

Saint Nicholas Church of England, WorthGrade I Listed (1957)

Worth church dates from between 950 and 1050, the walls of the nave, transepts and main arches are original Saxon work. It is a large church for the period, especially as it was built in an isolated forest clearing, with no large settlements nearby. After the Norman conquest William the Conqueror gave the church to his son-in-law, William de Warenne. The arms of the de Warenne family are depicted in stained glass in the north transept. The church and lands passed to the Fitzalan family about the middle of the 14th century, through the marriage of the daughter of the last of the de Warenne's to the Earl of Arundel. It then passed to the Nevills, Earls of Abergavenny, on the death of the fifth Earl of Arundel in 1415 and later to Lord Bergavenny.

It was extended in the 13th century and restored in 1871 by Anthony Salvin, who added the tower. The Lychgate is Grade II Listed (1957).

Rectors: G.C. Bethune from 1841 to 1858; G.W. Banks from 1858; A. Bridge in 1900; Horace FitzHenry Waller-Bridge from 1917.

Saint Paul's Methodist Church, Northgate

Meetings were held at the Old Rectory Barn before a new church was built. St. Paul's Methodist church held it's first service on 31st October 1953. The original building became the church hall when it was replaced in 1966 by the present church.

Saint Peter's Church of England, West GreenLocally Listed

St. Peter's was built in 1893, replacing a mission chapel built in 1880. It became the parish church of West Crawley in 1901. The original West Green church was in Alpha Road, which was used as St Peter's Church Hall until it was demolished about 1975. During the 1930s the Rev. Sidebotham lived in what was known as the the Old Vicarage in Springfield Road, but by 1939 the vicar lived in West Green Drive.

Vicars: W. Loveband 1900; Leonard Arthur Flude Willan from 1915 to 1926.

Saint Richard's Church of England — Three Bridges
Interior of original church in Jubilee Walk
The church in Gales Drive built in 1955

A temporary Anglican Church of St. Richard was established in Jubilee Walk, Three Bridges High Street (now Three Bridges Road) in 1934. A new church, designed by Geoffrey Claridge, opened in Gales Drive in 1955. Declared unsafe, it was demolished in August 1994. Part of the land was sold and redeveloped for housing with a new, smaller, church opening in 1995.

Saint Theodore of Canterbury — Roman Catholic — Gossops Green Lane, Gossops Green

The church was built in 1971.

Salvation Army — Spencers Road

The Salvation Army Citadel in Spencers Road opened in 1902. The building was sold in the 1980s and worship continued in Ifield Drive Community Centre until about 2003.

Sanatan Mandir Temple — Hindu — Spencers Road, West Green

See Gurjar Hindu Union.

Seventh-Day Adventist — Bewbush and Lowfield Heath

Seventh-Day Adventists met in Bewbush about 1984. They were given permission to use Saint Michael and All Angels Church, Lowfield Heath, from 2008.

Siri Guru Singh Sabha Gurdwara — Sikh — Three Bridges and Spencers Road

Initially hiring the Montefiore Hall in Three Bridges from 1969, a dedicated Sikh Gurdwara was established in Spencers Road in 1981.

Snell Hatch Cemetery — The Dingle, West Green

The cemetary opened in 1925.

South Crawley Baptist Church — Ashdown Drive, Tilgate

Services were held in a temporary building from 1957, then the church was associated with Crawley Baptist Church in West Green until 1967. The current church was built in 1970.

Sri Swarna Kamadchy Amman Temple — Hindu — Unit 18, Stephenson Way, Three Bridges

Swaminarayan Manor Temple — Hindu — Bonnetts Lane

Converted from a hotel the temple opened in 2006.

Surrey and Sussex Crematorium - Balcombe Road

Opened in 1956 and set in 13 acres of gardens with two chapels.

Three Bridges Free Church

In 1875 James Mowl opened his home, Hedley House in Three Bridges Road, for Sunday evening services. In 1876 the Worth Mission Hall in New Street was built to accomodate the increasing numbers attending. Land for a new church was bought in 1958 and the new church building was dedicated and opened on 21st September 1963.

Pastors: Mr. Gladstone Moore from 1946 to 1967; Rev. Edwin Purse from 1962 to 1965; Rev. Russell Brett from 1967 to 1970; Rev. Ronald Wells from 1971 to 1978; Rev. Graham Stevens from 1979 to 1987; Rev. Ronald Wells from 1989 to 1990, Rev. Roland Fidge from 1990 to 1996; Rev. Colin Jones from 1996.

Three Bridges Spiritualist Church and Psychic Centre — New Street, Three Bridges

The Spiritualist Church took over the former Worth Mission Hall previously used by Three Bridges Free Church. A Spiritualist Church was in West Green Drive in the 1960s and Gossops Green in the 1970s.

Trinity Church — Congregational Church — Ifield Drive, Ifield

Trinity originally met in a church in New Road (later Robinson Road), built in 1863. This building was demolished in 1962 and a new church opened in Ifield Drive in 1963. In December 2010 Trinity Church amalgamated with Christ Church, Pound Hill, with a change of name to Crawley United Reformed Church and the Congregation moved to the Christ Church building in Worth Park Avenue.