Lowfield Heath and County Oak

Lowfield Heath

Lowfield Heath was first recorded in 1542, and probably derived from a family name, Lowe. Rocques map of 1762 shows it as Lovel Heath, perhaps the local pronunciation. It stood on the crossroads of the main road from Reigate to Brighton and Charlwood to Tinsley Green. The church, built in 1867-8, was designed by William Burgess. Originally in the parish of Charlwood, Surrey, Lowfield Heath became part of the ecclesiastical parish of Crawley in 1959, and was transferred to Crawley for local government purposes in 1974.

The London to Brighton Road was diverted in the early 1950s due to the development of Gatwick Airport. By the early 1970s all the buildings, except the church, had been demolished and replaced by warehouses and hotels.

Lowfield Heath Remembered. Jean Shelly (1984)

Lowfield Apiaries

Charles Overton established an apiary and beehive manufacturing business in the 1880s at County Oak. The house was appropriately named Beecroft. The business lasted until the 1950s.

St Michael and All Angels Church

Village Stores and Post Office

The village stores and post office was run by J.F. Mitchell, who also had tea rooms on the Brighton Road.

White Lion

County Oak

County Oak Lane

County Oak Cottage, County Oak LaneGrade II Listed (1983)
A timber framed two storey cottage dated 1705, possibly converted from an older barn. The ground floor is refaced in brick and there is a 19th-century extension.

Oak Cottage, County Oak LaneGrade II Listed (1983)
Two storeys, probably late 17th century, with a red brick ground floor and tile-hung first floor..

Poles Lane

Knight's Acre (formerly St Barbe Cottage), Poles LaneGrade II Listed (1983)
A two-storey timber-framed three bay house, probably early 18th century, with a red brick ground floor and tile-hung first floor. The original entrance is now incorporated into a bay window.

Poles Acre Barn, Poles LaneGrade II Listed (1983)
A 17th century timber framed three bay barn, with a brick infill.

Spikemead Farmhouse, Poles LaneGrade II Listed (1983)
A timber framed building dated 1604 with an added kitchen. The ground floor is red brick and the first floor tile-hung.


Charlwood Park Farmhouse, Horley RoadGrade II* Listed (1966)
A late 15th century open hall which was refaced and re-roofed in the early 17th century, when a jettied wing was added and the building adapted into a continuous jetty house. The ground floor has painted brick infilling and a tile-hung first floor.