Ifield and Langley Green


In 1086 the Domesday Book records the owner of the manor of Ifield as William fitz Ranulf, and was valued at 20 shillings. The population was about 80, with nine families with one plough team.

Ifield Parade
Planning for the the new town neighbourhood of Ifield was completed in 1954 and development continued until 1957.

IfieldLangley Green

Ifield Avenue
Ifield Avenue, from Crawley High Street to Langley Green and Ifield, opened in 1960.

Ifield Drive

Ewhurst PlaceGrade II* Listed (1948)
A late 16th or early 17th Century timber-framed house on an ancient moated site. A single arched brick bridge over the moat was listed Grade II in 1983. There is a date over the arch, thought to be 1739, but which is covered in creeper.
Ifield Green

Michaelmas CottageGrade II Listed (1983)
A 17th century timber-framed cottage.
Ifield Water Mill

Langley Lane

Apple Tree Farm, 37 Langley LaneGrade II Listed (1983)
A two storey timber framed house, probably 17th century on an old site, and refaced in red brick. There is a two-storey extension which appears to be mid 19th century. It was formerly known as Great Auxford.

Friends Meeting HouseGrade II Listed (1948)
A Quaker meeting house, dated 1676, built as the bequest of Robert Robinson. Associated with William Penn (who lived at Warminghurst before going to America), George Fox and Elizabeth Fry.
Outside the meeting house is an 18th century brick-built mounting block which is Grade II Listed (1983).

Meeting House Cottage, 5 Langley LaneGrade II* Listed (1948)
A two storey timber framed three bay open hall of circa 1475. the west side has a brick-faced lower storey and tile-hung upper storey and the south end was faced in brick in the 18th century. Robert Robinson, a Quaker and the local blacksmith, lived in the house in the late 17th century. It is now the warden's cottage for the adjacent Meeting House.

Old Inn Cottage, 17 Langley LaneGrade II Listed (1983)
A timber-framed building, circa 1600, with two and a half bays, probably originally an open hall.

39 Langley LaneGrade II Listed (1983)
A 17th or early 18th Century two storey cottage, the front with brick on the ground floor and tile hung on the first floor. There is a modern addition at the east end.

Rectory Lane

Newstead LodgeGrade II Listed (1983)
A timber-framed farmhouse, circa 1600, which has been much altered and enlarged. The front is 19th century red brick with twin gables.

Old RectoryGrade I Listed (1948)

Rusper Road

Brook CottageGrade II Listed (1983)
Two bay timber-framed cottage, circa 1600, with brick infill.

The Mill House, Hyde DriveGrade II Listed (1974)
A timber-framed 16th-century building with matching modern work. It was a pub (The Mill House)for a while until the end of 2013.

Turks CroftGrade II Listed (1960)
Timber-framed three bay house, late 15th century. Two bays were added to the north end in the mid-16th century and additions were made in the 17th century. Red brick infill on the ground floor and tile hung above.

St. Margaret's CottageGrade II Listed (1983)
A two storey early to mid 19th century house with a red brick ground floor and tiled first floor.

The Street

Church CottageGrade II Listed (1983)
A two storey stone cottage with tiled roof, c. 1840. It is thought to have been the original church school.

Harrow CottageGrade II Listed (1983)
An early 18th century Cottage attached to Old Plough Cottage on the east side.

Old Plough CottageGrade II Listed (1983)
Built circa 1600 and since restored, Old Plough Cottage was formerly the Plough Inn.

The Plough InnGrade II Listed (1983)

The VicarageGrade II Listed (1983)
An early 18th century Cottage attached to Old Plough Cottage on the east side.

Tweed Lane

Tweed Cottages, The TweedGrade II Listed (1948)
18th century end chimney house, at one time used as a workhouse.

Langley Green

Langley Green Parade

Langley Green Parade

A survey and plan was prepared for the new neighbourhood at Langley Green in 1951, and development continued until 1956.

Charlwood Road

Charlwood HouseGrade II* Listed (1966)
An early 17th centiry timber-framed four bay house, originally called Ticcaradges, extended in the 20th century in matching style.
Four Centuries of Charlwood Houses, Joan Harding, The Charlwood Society (1976)
Ifield Road

Upper Prestwood FarmhouseGrade II Listed (1983)
A four-bay open hall, probably early 15th century. The ground floor is underbuilt in brick and the first floor post and part timber-framing with red brick infill.
Langley Lane

Langley GrangeGrade II Listed (1948)
An early 17th century two-story three bay timber-framed house with 19th century two-storey additions. The ground floor is painted brick and the first floor tile hung.
Langley Walk

Langley Green FarmhouseGrade II Listed (1983)
A two storey 18th century house with painted brick ground floor and tile-hung first floor.
London Road

Jordan's, 129 London RoadGrade II Listed (1948)
The rear range of two parallel ranges is the original 16th century two storey timber framed farmhouse. Another range was added in the early 18th century and further alterations made in the 19th century.

Jordan's Social Club, London RoadGrade II Listed (1983)
A six bay weather-boarded barn, dated 1642, with a fireplace and brick chimney inserted, adjoining a 17th-century stable.

The Old House, 111 London RoadGrade II Listed (1983)
A late 17th century timber framed two-storey cottage, partly brick faced. There is a 19th century two-storey addition and a modern one-storey lean-to.

8-12 Old MartyrsGrade II Listed (1960)
A sixteenth century two storey farmhouse (8 and 10) with a modern wing (12). The ground floor is modern painted red brick and the first floor tile hung.